Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Baby Toys

So its not EXACTLY refashioned, but I did a little recycling when I made these. Plus they turned out super cute!  Anyway, on to the project....

First, I had a little nephew on the way (who is now three months!) and wanted a special present for him so that I would be his favorite auntie!  So this is what I came up with:
I wanted the pages to be cute AND fun, so, to make it crunchy when you touch it, in between each page is a cereal box liner which I just sewed in when I put the pages together. Like this:
I think the most difficult part was trying to figure out how to do the words. I wanted to make sure they were all the same size (and that you could read them), but an embroidery pencil doesn't work on felt, so in the end I had to get creative, but it worked really well.  Probably people more experienced than I do this all the time, but I thought I was a genius!
I wrote out each word on paper, stitched over the letters and then peeled the paper away. Worked like a charm!  And then the rest came together easily.  Heres a look at the pages:



This next toy is for a baby dedication we are going to this weekend.  Just a simple little bird.
My favorite part is the legs!  This one also has the cereal box liner, but I only put it on the front side and  if I were to make it again I would have lined the back also for maximum crunch.  I also thought of stuffing it with shredded cereal box liner, but thought that might not be the safest thing for a baby if she managed to get the thing pulled apart!  So I stuck with a cut up old sock (clean, of course!).  
Its good baby hand size, bright and hopefully crunchy enough to keep her interest.  Something special for this special day.

-Jen




No comments:

Post a Comment